[Snowball-discuss] More patches

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Feb 16 13:38:54 GMT 2007

This patch tweaks the "grouping" utility functions to optional repeat
their action while the grouping does/doesn't match.  This allows faster
handling of "go" or "gopast" followed by a grouping or "non" and a
grouping, which is a common pattern in the stemming algorithms.

Note that the utility functions' return codes have been changed, but
their signatures are different (each now takes an extra "repeat"
parameter) so there's no danger of mixing old/new generated code with
new/old utility functions.

I did do some timings, and this gives a nice little speed boost, but I
don't have the figures to hand (I actually wrote this while I was without
internet early last month).  The generated code is also smaller and
simpler.  I can redo the timings if you need convincing.

http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/patches/snowball-faster-go-grouping.patch