[Snowball-discuss] Turkish Stemmer (sorry if I misused the list)

Evren Kapusuz evren.kapusuz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 15:09:59 GMT 2007

 Hello,
 In my previous mail I sent the Snowball program as an attachment, so the
main body of my mail didn't appear in the list. Sorry if I misused the list.
Below is the main body of my mail.

I am working on a project for indexing and searching documents written in
Turkish.
I couldn't find a stemmer for Turkish language, so I decided to develop one.
Because of the agglutinative nature of the language, developing a
stemmer for
Turkish isn't an easy task. I found Snowball very useful for developing
stemmers for
languages having complex morphological structure.  I was able to learn
the features
of the language in a very short time and develop a stemmer for Turkish
language.
I'd like to contribute it to Snowball.

ps: Thanks for the paper of  Gulsen Eryigit and Esref Adali. The stemming
algorithm is based on the paper
"An Affix Stripping Morphological Analyzer for Turkish" (Proceedings of the
IAESTED International Conference
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND APPLICATIONS, February 16-18,2004, Innsbruck,
Austria.

Best regards,
Evren Kapusuz Cilden