[Snowball-discuss] Ukrainian stemmer?

Carl Erickson erickson at atomicobject.com
Fri Jan 4 15:38:31 GMT 2008

I've been asked by a client to determine the feasibility of
supporting Ukrainian in a project using the Ruby search engine
library Ferret. Ferret uses Snowball. I think it's likely that I can
convince our client to release the Ukrainian Snowball work under the
BSD license.

It would be really helpful to know, even roughly, how much effort is
required to create a basic Ukrainian stemmer. Is a native speaker
paired with an experience programmer enough, or do I need a Ukrainian
linguist? Am I looking at days or weeks or months of effort?

thanks,
Carl
---
Carl Erickson, President
Atomic Object LLC  941 Wealthy Street SE   Grand Rapids MI 49506 USA
http://atomicobject.com/  +1 616 776 6020 voice   +1 616 776 6015 fax