[Snowball-discuss] Ukrainian stemmer?

Ignacio Perez ignacio.perez at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 21:08:18 GMT 2008

I'm not sure if this helps, but I can tell you about my own experience
working with the (already created) spanish stemmer. I am both a linguist and
a programmer and for what I could see you will need a programmer (for sure)
and someone with a good understanding of the ukrainian language morphology
(not necessarily a linguist) and a good imagination and conciousness of
his/her own usage of the language. Another approach I think it would work is
putting toghether an ukrainian native speaker and someone with general
morphological knowledge (such as a linguist) with a ukrainian grammar book
(in a language the expert can read). The expert with the grammar and the
possibility of checking with the native speaker should be able to abstract
the rules to find the language "flexivity".
The other point to have in mind is: I believe it is a slavic language, but,
how flexive is it? If it is not very flexive (if it is, for instance, as
little flexive as english is) you may settle with just the native speaker
and the programmer if they put enough brain to it.

Hope it helped

Ignacio