[Snowball-discuss] Java implementation of the Portuguese stemming algorithm

Pedro Oliveira pcoliv at student.dei.uc.pt
Thu Oct 30 19:00:35 GMT 2008

Ok :)
In the attachment of this email is my Java implementation. In the future
I plan to improve its performance. When I do that, I'll send you another
version.
There is a link to my toolkit in the file, but, if there is no
inconvenient, a link can also be provided in the "affiliation" or
"notes" section.

Best Regards,
Pedro Oliveira

Martin Porter wrote:
> Pedro,
>
> I would really like to put your stemmer up on the page,
>
> http://snowball.tartarus.org/otherlangs/index.html
>
> if that is acceptable to you. We could merely provide a link, but links have
> a tendency to get broken. I suggest you put a reference to
> http://code.google.com/p/ptstemmer in the comments at the top of the code
> (or somewhere), and send it for inclusion on the snowball site.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Martin
>
> At 19:23 29/10/2008 +0000, Pedro Oliveira wrote:
>
>> Greetings Dr.Porter,
>>
>> I am a MSc Student in Informatics Engineering at the University of
>> Coimbra in Portugal, and during a scholar project I've made a Java
>> implementation of your Portuguese stemming algorithm.
>> This implementation is freely available as a Java package on Google Code
>> (http://code.google.com/p/ptstemmer/). I've tested it with the datasets
>> provided in the snowball page
>> (http://snowball.tartarus.org/algorithms/portuguese/stemmer.html) and
>> the results were equal to those provided.
>> Since there is no other Java implementation of the Portuguese stemming
>> algorithm, I was wondering if it is possible to provide a link to my
>> implementation in the Portuguese algorithm page. If that is not
>> possible, I can provide the source code of my implementation, and the
>> Dr. can upload it to your website.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Pedro Oliveira

---
Pedro Oliveira |  MSc Student in Informatics Engineering |  University
of Coimbra, Portugal
pcoliv at student.dei.uc.pt | http://student.dei.uc.pt/~pcoliv