[Snowball-discuss] latin stemmer -> java

Dirk Rothe d.rothe at semantics.de
Mon Nov 30 19:06:35 GMT 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:16:53 +0100, Richard Boulton <richard at tartarus.org>
wrote:

> 2009/11/30 Dirk Rothe <d.rothe at semantics.de>:
>> I've tried to build a java-version of the the latin stemmer[1] with:
>> ./snowball latin.sbl -j -n LatinStemmer -o LatinStemmer
>
> There were a couple of bugs in the java generator (concerning features
> not used by any of the other stemming algorithms, which has allowed
> them to be missed until now).  I've just fixed them, and the stemmer
> now compiles for me, so hopefully the latest version of the code on
> the website will work better for you.
>
> However, the error I was getting was quite different from yours, so
> it's possible there's a remaining problem.  If so, please let me know
> which java compiler you're trying to use.

Thnx, but I ran into another problem now. In the last distribution[1] the
snowball binary was embedded and I've simply used it. This time it's
missing, so I tried to build it by myself with a simple 'make', but that
failed with:

rothe at freimann:~/snowball_code$ make
cc -Iinclude -O2 -W -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations  -c
-o compiler/space.o compiler/space.c
cc -Iinclude -O2 -W -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations  -c
-o compiler/tokeniser.o compiler/tokeniser.c
cc -Iinclude -O2 -W -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations  -c
-o compiler/analyser.o compiler/analyser.c
cc -Iinclude -O2 -W -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations  -c
-o compiler/generator.o compiler/generator.c
cc -Iinclude -O2 -W -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations  -c
-o compiler/driver.o compiler/driver.c
cc -Iinclude -O2 -W -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations  -c
-o compiler/generator_java.o compiler/generator_java.c
cc -o snowball compiler/space.o compiler/tokeniser.o compiler/analyser.o
compiler/generator.o compiler/driver.o compiler/generator_java.o
make: *** No rule to make target `libstemmer/libstemmer_c.in', needed by
`libstemmer/libstemmer.c'.  Stop.

Anything obvious wrong?

Dirk

[1] http://snowball.tartarus.org/dist/snowball_code.tgz