[Snowball-discuss] Basque language

Martin Porter martin at porterloo.wanadoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 10:04:46 BST 2010

Mikel,

Hi! Apologies if you waited some time for reply after your first email to
us. A problem at our end. (Remember to post your replies also to
snowball-discuss at lists.tartarus.org.)

I don't think we should worry too much about preparing sbl, diff, voc, doc
files etc. The easiest think, I think, is to add your stemmers in a raw form
(see the Armenian stemmer on the snowball site, added yesterday), and we
expand your contribution later if you wish to do so.

You say,

>Hi Martin,
>Here is the first valid version of the Catalan Stemmer. This
>means we actually have a valid euskera and catalan version.

>Which do you think is the next step? etc

I do not quite understand. Do you mean you have two stemmers, one for
Catalan, one for Euskera? Euskera, I discover, is the Basque word for
"Basque". Anyway, Basque = Euskera. Is that right? Which name would be best
on the snowball site? Is you last attachment a stemmer for Catalan, not
Basque/Euskera? I take it a Catalan stemmer would be close to the snowball
Spanish stemmer, while a Basque stemmer would be rather different.

(All my language/linguistics books are boxed up at the moment, so I can't
check easily without your help.)

Martin