[Snowball-discuss] Fwd: How to add Tamil Support to stemmer?

Shrinivasan T tshrinivasan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 12:03:04 GMT 2013

Forwarding Martin's reply to the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin Porter <martin.f.porter at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Snowball-discuss] How to add Tamil Support to stemmer?
To: Shrinivasan T <tshrinivasan at gmail.com>

T.Shrinivasan,

Thank you for telling us about this. It is very interesting to see
snowball being used for one of the many languages of the Indian
sub-continent.

What is supplied there is a stemmer written in snowball, rather than a
patch. To get using it, I'd just dowload the snowball compiler,
compile it into C or java, and follow the instructions for running it.
Best help would probably come from the author (R,Damodharan ?).

I don't know if anyone else on snowball-discuss wants to add to that.

But looking at the source, the long sequences

    string or string or string ....

really should be replaced by 'among' expressions. As well as looking
tidier, it will then run a zillion times faster.

Martin

--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan