[Snowball-discuss] License file shipping required by BSD license

jpacner at redhat.com jpacner at redhat.com
Fri May 9 10:22:18 BST 2014

Hello everybody,

I'm a packager of MongoDB which starting with version 2.6.0 uses your
stemming C library and therefore I need to sort out licensing.

I've realized (according to http://snowball.tartarus.org/license.php)
that your libraries are licensed under 2-clause BSD license.
Unfortunately this license requires being bundled with the source code
itself while listing all authors in it.

I'm aware of the statement "We have not bothered to insert the licensing
arrangement into the text of the Snowball software.", but currently it's
illegal in some countries (e.g. in my country :() to use this software
and also it's not considered to be licensed under BSD, because as I
pointed out above, BSD license requires bundling with the source-code
and resulting binaries (if any) as well.

I'd like to therefore kindly ask you for bundling a LICENSE file
(containing the BSD license with listed authors) with the source code.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind regards

-- Jan Pacner