[Snowball-discuss] Ending work on snowball

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Nov 17 05:12:38 GMT 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 09:37:39AM +0000, Martin Porter wrote:
> The mailing list I've discussed with Richard at some length. We get a
> lot of spam, which Richard has been filtering out by hand. When he has
> not time to do this, a backlog builds up. I think it unfair Richard
> should have to do this.

I'm proposing I take over admin duties on the mailing list.  I already
admin several mailing lists, so I know what the workload is likely to
be.

> Many questions that come into the mailing list have been answered
> before, often many years ago. I have a private IR sytem for my emails
> that helps fish out old answers, but it is clumsy to relate it to the
> current email archive, I also get direct queries from people who can't
> bother to register with snowball mail.  I am always dismayed when a
> question comes in on the mailing list which I can't answer: anything
> connected with snowball's java support, for example.
>
> I feel a webboard, with moderator, would work much better.

Forum spamming is a big problem, so a moderator would likely have to do
at least as much work as is required to admin a mailing list.

The question is really whether I set up a new mailing list, or just take
over the existing one.

> We could keep the mailing list going, but I still think I would
> withdraw from it.

Of course.

And I do hope you enjoy your retirement.