[Snowball-discuss] Ending work on snowball

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Nov 20 12:38:43 GMT 2014

On 17 Nov 2014, at 05:12, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:

>> I feel a webboard, with moderator, would work much better.
>
> Forum spamming is a big problem, so a moderator would likely have to do
> at least as much work as is required to admin a mailing list.

My experience bears this out; there's really very little difference, because spammers have tools to work with both.

> The question is really whether I set up a new mailing list, or just take
> over the existing one.

I think there's a related question as to whether there's a better tool than mailman v2, which is what the current list is run. It's old, but the v3 series isn't ready yet (and shows no particular hurry in getting there). I don't know what other options there are that would retain running it ourselves somewhere; obviously there's also options like Google Groups, which have different tradeoffs. (From experience, the *spam* controls work automatically and fairly well, but the *moderation* tools — real people wanting to post — are pretty horrendous, and try to work automatically; I've been blocked from my own lists in the past, with nothing I can find to do anything about it.)

 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org