[Snowball-discuss] Status of snowball development

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Wed Mar 25 01:22:40 GMT 2015

As Martin has previously announced on this mailing list, he and I no longer
have time to maintain the snowball project.  However, I've been somewhat
unclear about exactly what that means.

To hopefully clear confusion up, we are doing the following:

 - The website at http://snowball.tartarus.org/ will be preserved in
essentially its current state, for the foreseeable future. Snowball has
been referenced in many academic papers and other places, so we feel it
important to preserve the website in essentially its current state.

 - Olly Betts has volunteered to take over maintenance of this mailing
list.  He has been involved in snowball for many years.

 - There are full copies of the snowball code (including its development
history) and website in several places on the web.  In particular, there is
a copy on the "github" website, at https://github.com/snowballstem.  This
has had a few modifications made already, and is currently the best place
to go to follow future developments, or to submit suggested changes.

Martin and I may occasionally contribute, but we can't guarantee anything.
However, snowball has been very stable for many years now, so it should
continue to be useful even were there to be no support available.