[Xapian-discuss] Xapian on AMD64

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Aug 4 16:17:48 BST 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 11:54:17AM -0300, Christiano Anderson wrote:

> > That's not a fair comparison. How does it stack up against a 32bit
> > Xapian on the same machine?
>
> I don't have real numbers yet, the machine has been installed today and
> I am running Xapian on this machine for a short period of time. I am
> collecting some data as CPU, memory and IO usage on 64bit and after that
> I will repeat the tests on the same machine, but running a 32bit OS.

Okay. Also interesting would be 32bit executable on the 64bit OS,
since then differences in efficiency of kernel services, libraries and
so on won't affect the test. Although, given the likelihood of people
running 32bit binaries on 64bit linux, this isn't that important.

> Since I am not expert on Xapian, what kind of information should I get
> to make a good benchmark?

Good question. I'd guess we're most interested in index and search
times, but then there's the question of reindexing, and first-search
versus repeated-search (which takes account of caching). Other people
have done benchmarking of Xapian - I'll let them say something useful
here :-)

Ooh, I've built a 64bit Xapian on Solaris/Sparc. That was unpleasantly
difficult, though. libtool and/or g++-as-ld doesn't play well with C++
64bit builds. Yuck, yuck, yuck. And I'm still trying to build the test
suite :-(