[Xapian-discuss] Debian and Ubuntu packages of 1.2.0

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue May 24 03:24:40 BST 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 01:45:21PM -0500, Yannick Warnier wrote:
> I've heard and read that there are (licensing) problems with the
> php-xapian package on Debian. What's the status or expectation with
> these? Some inside information you care to share about that?

There isn't really any inside information, but the status wasn't
usefully summarised in a single place.  I've fixed that by adding
a summary to the description of the ticket for this issue:

http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/191

> For me (and a series of friends), it is a very big advantage (over other
> indexing systems) to have the php-xapian package officially available
> inside Debian and Ubuntu repositories.

It would be more convenient if they were, but it's not hard to build
your own binary package for the PHP bindings:

sudo apt-get build-dep xapian-bindings
sudo apt-get install php5-dev php5-cli
apt-get source xapian-bindings
cd xapian-bindings-1.2.*